Jewish community in Lower Silesia. From the post-war period to the present
This article describes characteristics of the Jewish community, which in terms of number, was the largest in Lower Silesia created after the Second World War. Functioning Jewish schools, work and workshop co-operatives, community and cultural organisations, political parties and religious organisations (congregation of the Moses denomination — currently the name of the community) were dependent on domestic state politics and also on the international situation.
Within the life of the Jewish community in Lower Silesia, it is possible to distinguish specific periods: 1945–1950, 1950–1957, 1957–1968, 1968–1989, 1989–2006 and 2006–2010.The study is an attempt to describe the community-religious dynamics of the Jews in Lower Silesia — from its prime, through times of emigration and extinction — to the first ten years of the twenty-first century which again has become a period of returning to the cultivation of Jewish identity in a spiritual and organisational sense. An important role in the organisational life of Lower Silesian Jews was played by legal regulations issued by the Polish state. Their description will also be included in the article.